Sunday, August 24, 2014. 5:00 pm.
Nancy & Stoney’s
1346 Humboldt Street,
Join us Sunday, Aug 24, 5-7:30pm to kick off the campaign for County Charter Review Commission Candidates Bob Burr, Nancy Metcalf and Stoney Bird as they seek to bring community rights, the right of the people to vote on all initiatives, and meaningful representation to Whatcom County!
The Kickoff features live music by Dana Lyons and will take place at 1344 and 1346 Humboldt St. (across from Nelson’s Market in the York Neighborhood).
A Campaign for Community Rights
In November of this year, voters in Whatcom County will elect the County Charter Review Commission. What the Constitution is to our Country, the Charter is to our County – with one giant exception. The Charter has no Bill of Rights. In 2012, we tried for a Community Bill of Rights in Bellingham. The Charter Review is our next opportunity.
Nancy Metcalf, Bob Burr and Stoney Bird will work to:
– provide for our right to vote on initiatives that have qualified through the signatures of the people – no matter what
– guarantee our right to self-government – instead of having decisions made for us by distant corporate boards of directors
– refer all important decisions to the people
We all supported a Community Bill of Rights in 2012, but we weren’t allowed to vote on it. This time, let’s make it happen!
Here are the details of the Kickoff:
– It’s a potluck!
– Music by Dana Lyons!
– Opportunity to donate (cash or check, please) and to sign up for doorbelling!
– Hosts provide ice cream, chocolate sauce and growlers (beer) – first come, first served!
Please RSVP by August 21 so we can make our plans for food and drink! Email: sjbird
If you can’t join us on the 24th, but would like to participate in the campaign anyway:
– to volunteer, call (360) 453-7655 or email: sjbird
– to donate, go to the Stand Up Whatcom website, and see how to contribute to each campaign.
Stand Up Whatcom • www.standupwhatcom.org